SCOTUS History # POST 2






https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2019/06/27/PDTN/0744b686-b017-4bcd-9a20-7c1415fa1fc1-supreme-court3.jpg?crop=2599,1455,x0,y0&width=3200&height=1680&fit=bounds

SCOTUS History



   1.  After reading the overview of the Supreme Court created by the History Channel, there have been a few things that I have realized that I had not heard before and that also surprised me. The first thing that caught my attention after reading this article was what the first decision of the six justices was about. According to the article, the first case they had to deal with involved an economic dispute between a farmer and a family to which the farmer owed money. I would have not expected this to be the first situation the Supreme Court had to deal with.

 2.  The most important take-away I have learned about the Supreme Court is that it can be considered the resource/hope for people who are seeking justice, and for that reason, it plays a very crucial role in the government.

 3.  Another fact that has surprised me and that I had no knowledge of is that around 1962 SCOTUS decided that any prayer initiated within public schools would violate the First Amendment. 
 4After seeing the video and reading the article, I realized that there were many things about the Supreme Court that I was not aware of that would surprise me and give me a better understanding of how things worked with the SCOTUS.


Comments